Monday 27 June 2011

Charles Barkley: If I Were a Mediocre NBA Team, I'd be Throwing Games

This post is dedicated to Terrell Owens, who apparently, ended his career when he tore his ACL filming a reality show for VH1.  Owens underwent surgery last month, and most likely would not be ready to play football until 2012. This is probably the most “T.O.” ending to T.O.’s career.  So that’s something.

Mike Lupica threw some questions at Charles Barkley on ESPN Radio New York today. As always, Barkley had some interesting things to say. The main topic of discussion today was last week’s NBA Draft. Lupica asked Barkley how he felt Michael Jordan was doing as he tries to build a winner in Charlotte.  Barkley responded:

Well I think he made the first step [Thursday] night to be honest with you. I’ve been telling Michael – see, first of all under this current system you are correct – but what I’ve told him, and I actually told him two years ago, that team..Jeff Van Gundy was great during the draft last night, and I’ve been saying this for three or four years, a lot of people got mad at me – I wouldn’t be trying to win games if I were a mediocre team, I’d be throwing games. I want to get draft picks and draft space, the exact same way the Miami Heat and New York Knicks did it. This notion where you’re the No. 6, 7 or 8 seed every year and you’re going to lose, I think that’s the silliest thing in the world. Jeff Van Gundy said it last night – he said I don’t understand why these teams.you know, they gave me a hard time in Philadelphia last year; I said they’re going to be the 6, 7 or 8 seed and they’re going to lose in the first round. I said Philadelphia needs draft picks, young players and cap space. And Jeff Van Gundy said it last night, and I’ve been saying it for three or four years. I told Michael two, three years ago – you’re paying Gerald Wallace, you’re paying Stephen Jackson, you’re paying Okafor, you’re going to be the 6, 7, or 8 seed, and you’re going to lose in the first round of the playoffs every year. I personally think you should do it like Oklahoma City do it – they drafted well every year, and now they’re a legit contender. See this is my philosophy: my best player is going to make the most money. I’m not going to pay mediocre players. I think that’s the stupidest thing in the world. I forget the old baseball analogy, but a guy asks for a lot of money and they say ‘hey man, we’ve come in last place with you, we’ll come in last place without you.’ I 100 percent agree with that. I’m  not going to pay guys $10, $12, $15 million dollars and we lose in the first round of the playoffs every year. I think that’s absurd. And the fans, I would tell the fans ‘we’re not very good; we’re going to start over. You guys are going to have to be patient, because the way the system is now, I’m pay three or four guys $10, $12, $15 million dollars, we’re the 6, 7, 8 seed, we’re not going to get a good draft pick.’ And I think that’s the silliest thing in the world to be honest with you.

[David Stern shaking his head.]

[Herm Edwards looking for a podium.]

Barkley makes a good point.  There are a lot of teams, not only in the NBA, but in all pro sports, that keep hanging on to being mediocre when they should just blow the team up and start over.  The main reason they don’t just blow the team up is because the Coach and GM need to have a good owner (and fans) that stand behind them as they blow up the team and rebuild. 

While Barkley may think sneaking in to the playoffs only to lose in the first round and paying mediocre players big-time money is absurd, sometimes, if you want to keep your job, that’s what you have to do.

Blowing the team up and starting over is easier said than done.  For every Oklahoma City Thunder, there is a Toronto Raptors.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/750033-charles-barkley-if-i-were-a-mediocre-nba-team-id-be-throwing-games

world news local news sports news

No comments:

Post a Comment